Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Way Back Home: Coming Soon and I'm Excited!

I met South African writer and teacher Niq Mhlongo in Brazzaville and I've got to say, the guy is a character. He is laugh-out-loud, hands-over-face, so un-PC funny and the life of the par-tay. We had a little bit of a protective uncle - protected niece vibe over that weekend because his daughter is around my age. That worked out pretty well for me when Niq helped me through Brazzaville Airport despite some close calls with some dodgy officials and almost awkward situation where I had to lie to avoid handing over all my Euros to a guy at the boarding gates politely collecting bribes to allow passengers through - so, that happened.

And every time I think of Kigali Airport, I can't help getting a flash of Niq trying to get some sleep on the most uncomfortable chairs ever made, his trademark blue hat tilted over his face and travelling for close to 12 hours with nothing but his passport, cellphone, wallet and a light jacket. In contrast, I need a minimum of two books, a coat, gloves and a face mask for any overnight flight.

Anyway, I'm very excited about his new book. From what he told me about it (including the spoilers) it sounds hec-tic and "caustic critique of South Africa’s political elite" doesn't even begin to describe the cray shizz that is up in that piece... Here's the blurb:
“I, Kimathi Fezile Tito, do solemnly declare that I am a soldier of the South African revolution. I am a volunteer fighter, committed to the struggle for justice. I place myself in the service of the people, The Movement and its allies.

13 August 1986, Angola”


Kimathi Tito has it all. As a child of the revolution, born in exile in Tanzania, he has steadily accumulated wealth and influence since arriving in South Africa in 1991. But even though everything appears just peachy from outside the walls of his mansion in Bassonia, things are far from perfect for Comrade Kimathi. After a messy divorce, accelerated by his gambling habit and infidelities, he is in danger of losing everything. And now, to top it all, he’s seeing ghosts. Sometimes what happens in exile doesn’t stay in exile.

A caustic critique of South Africa’s political elite from the author of Dog Eat Dog and After Tears (both recently reissued).

Can't wait to buy it and can't wait to read it! *dances with glee*

Go get it!

No comments:

Post a Comment