Sunday, February 17, 2013

Let's talk about NetGalley

Let me start by saying I ain't got nothing but love for NetGalley. I find it useful, I find it a great way to find authors and books I otherwise would never have had the chance to read or review. I get rejected often because I'm an international blogger but actually, that's just a part of the process and it does not bother me at all. I'm always appreciative of the books I do get to read. That being said, I'm not everyone. For example, none of my wedding photos are on Facebook. That's not relevant? Oh... Anyway, I tend not to really understand much of the NetGalley rejection indignation and that is why finding this open letter to NetGalley reviewers on lifenpublishing.com made me laugh for days:
listen up reviewers, we need to have a heart to heart.

Are you happily married to a wonderful man?

Stop putting that in your bio. Does it effect how you review books? No. No, it does not. And honestly, I find it weird that it’s where you get your first sense of identity. The same goes for however many delightful children you have and how they are the light of your life.

What that has to do with your ability to review books, I will never know. Also, having a spouse and children does not count as special interests.


Realize that unless you are the book editor of the New York Times or some equivalent than you are (probably) a small fish in a large ocean. So, before you write the publisher a ticked off email about how you are shocked that your request was rejected:

Read more of this touching heart to heart

No comments:

Post a Comment